Friday, March 20, 2009

Playing with Transfers and Finishes

Connect the Dots
I have been having a great time playing with the Golden Interference paints and transfers. This piece called, Connect the Dots, started with interference paints on the background. The lower third got a gel transfer and the middle section got a Lazertran inkjet transfer. The top portion is a heavy texture from ceramic stucco, a product from Liquitex.
The Lazertran will be opaque until you treat it with a varnish to make it clear. The part I really like is that I can control where it is clear and where it stays opaque. In this photo, the pink areas are clear and the blue is opaque.
I wanted to be able to draw on top so I covered the painting in a 50/50 mixture of Liquitex clear gesso mixed with water. Before it dried completely, I wiped most of it off. This left a tooth on the surface that I could then draw on. I sealed it with a workable fix and then varnished.

No comments:

The Other Side

The Other Side
4-panel commissioned painting