Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Finding the Perfect Sheen

Wave 10x8




These two little painting were part of a demo I did for Artisan Art Supply in Taos. I created two identical backgrounds and then altered the surface using different acrylic mediums. The paint in the lower portion of the painting was a mix of interference and iridescent gold and micaceous iron oxide-all from Golden Acrylic Paints. I put a layer of matte gel over the entire surface. This pushed back the sheen. The painting below was finished in a soft gel gloss medium. You can see the difference. I changed the final sheen by using a satin varnish on the painting above and a gloss varnish on the one below. Sometimes I like to alternate layers of gloss and satin. You can always change the final sheen of your painting with the varnish.




French Curl 10x8









No comments:

The Other Side

The Other Side
4-panel commissioned painting