Saturday, March 9, 2013

Workshop Materials

Beyond Duality-sold

 
I am very excited to be teaching three workshops at Art and Soul in Virginia Beach April 27-29. This will be my first time teaching on the east coast. For those of you not familiar with this format of teaching,it is an art and craft extravaganza of creating. Hundreds of participants take workshops from dozens of instructors all at the same hotel. It is a blast. Check it out here.
 
I get questions from participants that are coming for classes. They are artists and crafters, but not necessarily painters. I am going to be posting some material suggestions and tips for getting the most out of a workshop.
 
One question is about what type of acrylic paint to use. I use Golden fluid acrylics, but you may use another brand like Liquitex or Matisse. I like the fluid as opposed to heavy body (think jar or tube) because we will be working thin and  so it saves having to get to that viscosity.
 
If you already have acrylics, bring some of those but get a few small bottles of fluid paints. You may even use craft acrylics in some situations. Just email me and ask. 
 
For brushes, I buy an inexpensive soft nylon brush. I can get them at Michaels or Hobby Lobby for a couple of dollars. Sometimes Hobby Lobby has them in a package of 3 by the stencil stuff. Make sure they are synthetic. I like a half inch to an inch brush, but I do most of my painting with my palette knife.
 
I will cover surfaces to paint on in another post.

No comments:

The Other Side

The Other Side
4-panel commissioned painting